Thursday, April 11, 2013

Why Ethiopia?

 
So, lots of people want to know why we are adoptng from Ethiopia when there are so many chidren in need right here in our own backyard.  I don't deny that, there are children all over the world who are hungry, fatherless, lonely and abused.  But these pictures I'm posting here today are simply things that we don't see here in KY.  We have CPS, foster care, WIC, food stamps, welfare, food banks, and soup kitchens galore.  While we still have babies going to bed hungry, we don't have thousands of them dying of starvation.  God has laid it on our hearts to help these babies in Ethiopia.
 





I came across these pictures today over at the Runner's adoption blog.  These pictures are absolutely heart wrenching and I promise to never post them again.  It breaks my heart to look at these babies.  And here's an excerpt from their blog, about their trip to Ethiopia in May 2012:
 
We learned on our trip here that if a baby is abandoned and is over 2 years of age.....the police don't take them to an orphange because they are old enough to survive on their own..........OLD ENOUGH TO SURVIVE ON THEIR OWN! Their is a structured system to the street kids - it starts out if you are two years old - four year olds take care of you - six year olds take care of the four year olds, etc, etc.

I can't imagine seeing these babies on the street.  Ashton is 18 months old, my baby, and there is NO WAY she would be old enough to survive on her own in 6 months.  I mean, I've caught this girl trying to eat rocks!  In so many ways I wasn't ready to read this today - and Fran I'm not sure how I didn't read this stuff last year!!!  And even reading this and seeing these pictures, I will NEVER be prepared to see this firsthand. 

Lots of prayers tonight for all of the children in need of a loving family....from the kids right here in my neighborhood, to the kids across the globe.





1 comment:

  1. I know you and Shawn are doing what God wants you to do. Jesse and I have talked about adoption but that's about it. Have you been on the rainbow kids website? I look at all those children from all over the world and wonder how anyone could abandon them. I've been looking on that site for 3 yrs.

    ReplyDelete