Wednesday, April 10, 2013

7 Days of 7: Clothes

In month 2, Jen challenged herself to wear only 7 items for the entire month - 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pair of pants, and 3 shirts to choose from.  When inspecting her wardrobe she gave away 300+ items of clothing!!!!  Some were new, with tags still attached.

I'm a bit of a purger, so I can't imagine having that many clothes.  But this has made me re-evaluate what's in my closet.  There are clothes in there that I've never worn (shame on me), while some people only have the clothes on their back.

So, I'm cleaning out the closets, and simplifying our lives.  Some things will be donated, while others will be sold with the profit going into the adoption fund.  I'm also cleaning out Shawn's half of the closet.  Let me just say, he doesn't purge nearly as much as I do.  I found 15 pairs of jeans all in the same size - and none of them fit.  I'm not really sure why anyone would ever need 15 pair of jeans.  He says if he had that many jeans (that fit), he wouldn't have to worry about the laundry for two weeks ;)

I'm also re-evaluating my "need" for new clothes.  Sometimes we go shopping just for the entertainment or because new clothes make us feel good.  We are leaving this behind us.  Simply put, if I don't actually need it, I'm not buying it.  And if we do need something, we are going to shop thrift stores first.  I realize this is not some grand new idea, but it's a movement in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment