Tuesday, April 9, 2013

7 Days of 7: Food

In month one, Jen Hatmaker limited herself to 7 foods, yes, only 7.  Everyday for a month she only ate 7 things - chicken, eggs, bread, avocado, apples, sweet potatoes, and spinach.  Some of her friends did a similar experiment with food, limiting themselves to the foods that the poor might eat in 3rd world countries. 

One thing I thought about was how much food we waste, in my own home, and across the country.  We've all heard our mothers say it before "There are starving kids in <insert country here> who would love to eat that."  Our mothers were right.  Americans families waste about 25% of food and drinks they purchased.  This doesn't even include the food that is wasted at supermarkets and restaurants because it wasn't purchased and went bad.

In thinking about saving money a few weeks ago, I had already thought about how much food we are wasting.  We buy fresh fruits and veggies that don't get eaten, and later find them rotting in the fridge.  We save leftovers, to throw them out two weeks later.  We are wasting a lot. 

What are we doing about it?  I started buying more frozen fruits and veggies.  They don't have all the preservatives of the canned goods, and if we forget to eat them that week, they are still good.  We are wasting less fresh produce and saving money.  In meal planning I have designated one night a week for leftovers.  We still waste some, but have gotten better about eating our leftovers when it's already in the game plan.  We have also set aside one dinner a week to eat like the poor.  So far it's just been rice and beans.  The kids aren't participating here, but they are picky eaters and still pretty young.  I would rather feed Ashton chicken nuggets than have her throw rice and beans in the floor. 

This also seems like a good time for confession.  A few weeks ago I declared that I was going to stop buying soda.  Well, this lasted for about 2 weeks.  I was exhausted, was in bed every night by 8 and could barely crawl out of the bed in the morning.  After two weeks I asked Shawn to buy me a soda.  I typically only have one soda a day and it's my only source of caffeine.  And wow, the difference it has made.  I'm able to stay up later and get more stuff done at home while the kids are in bed.  So, soda is going to be my one selfish thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment