Thursday, March 28, 2013

God Bless America

After fighting a stomach virus this week, and taking care of Abby while she was sick this morning, I can't help but think how lucky we are to be here......right here in the good ole' USA (all political jokes aside, please). 

It's only by the grace of God that I was born here.  While fighting a stomach bug, I have the leisure of resting in a warm bed, snuggled in the blankets, checking my FB account while texting my hubby in the other room to ask him to bring me some sprite.  I have the luxury of clean running water and a toilet to hug in all of my misery.  These are the simple things we all too often take for granted. 

This morning when Abby was sick I was able to reassure her that she would be fine, and that a doctor's visit would not be necessary today.  I knew that everything would be okay, and it is.  Actually, she bounced back much faster than me.

But if it wasn't for God's grace, I wouldn't have this assurance.  If I had been born in Ethiopia, this simple stomach bug could be life threatening.  No warm bed to rest in, more like a mud floor.  No clean water to drink, and no sewage system to keep this from spreading.  I might not even be able to see a doctor if I were dehydrated.  And as a mother, I would look at my sick child with worry.  Would my child even make it through the night?  There would be no reassuring words to tell her.

If it wasn't for God's grace I may not even be here.  If I had been born in China, I would likely have been aborted, or I would be an orphan.  I am the second child in my family, and the Chinese are not permitted to have more than one child.  Either my life would have ended too soon, or I would be left to face the world scared and alone.  But God put me here.

We often sulk in our own self-pity (I am guilty of this for sure) and we forget how fortunate we are.  I am truly blessed to be right HERE where I am.  For what reason God has placed me here, I don't know.  But I am going to use all he has given me to help at least ONE child.  To make a difference in ONE life that will impact and inspire so many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment